Monday, May 12, 2008

Networking Pays Dividends

Okay, anyone who knows me knows that I hate to network. To me, it's just exhausting because I feel like I need to constantly put on a face. I don't enjoy it under typical corporate scenarios. I mean, the idea of pretending to enjoy socializing with people who I don't want to hang out with is just painful. I know this probably sounds stupid especially considering I've gotten 3 out of my 4 jobs from referrals... anyway...

As I've written before, my project manager is leaving the firm. So today we had a happy hour to bid him a farewell (we'll actually have one tomorrow too). I went because appearances are important and there was free food and drink. And Lord knows I need a drink after some of the drudgery I had to perform today. But at the end of it all, I also wanted to show my support because he is truly a nice guy. It's quite alarming when you meet genuine nice guys in the corporate world because they're so rare.... but he is. And so I went. Anyways, he knows of my MBA aspirations and started asking me 1-on-1 about it... I didn't lie. I told him that I was aiming for Fall 2009 and asked him his opinion on whether I should keep my mouth shut to the current managers on the team, a tricky situation considering I may need them for a recommendation though I don't want to alienate them considering I'll need to approach them for the rec nearly a year before even leaving. I don't want to give the unnecessary impression that I'm plotting my escape from them ya know? So he said "I'll write it" without my provacation or insinuation! Amazing. Even though he'll be 3 months removed from being my project manager, he said he would have no problem doing it. So that's a great relief.

Another great piece of news is that the project manager that's taking over for him is an option too... the problem is that he's a stickler for rules and goes by the straight and narrow. He seems like he'd be unwilling to paint a super rosey picture of me... he seems like he'd be brutally honest even if it meant mentioning negatives which is something that's not ideal for a rec. So I didn't think I could use him. However, I learned today from my wonderful co-worker, that she talked to him today and that he was indeed willing to write her a rec. She also clarified that she'd need the rec to "be souped up" and show her at her very best and he said he totally understood. So great!! Now it appears I have two viable options. I guess networking does pay off.

In the words of Happy Bunny, "Me likey!"

3 comments:

Mo Zhou said...

Bravo! I wish I'm smooth like you.

Anonymous said...

Nicely done ... you seem to have gotten a very nice headstart.

Pressure Washing Kendall said...

Interesting post I enjoyed read this