Monday, March 30, 2009

Mini Updates

I've always wanted to do updates using a bullets-only format but I know I'll never be pithy enough. So screw it. The big news is that there's a DC happy hour for CBS admits this thursday. I'm really looking forward to this one. I've already met some of these people a few times now so I feel comfortable enough drinking in front of them. I'm not looking to get super duper drunk but I do plan on it being a fun night!

Since it's tax season, I've been dealing with a ton of personal finances recently and it's been giving me quite a headache. I'm really hoping CBS steps up and gives me even the smallest of merit-based scholarships. They don't even announce them until May and I'm sure my Early Decision status doesn't make me the highest probability recipient for an award but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Every little bit helps.

On the career front, I'm starting to veer away from Trading again. I think I want it for the wrong reasons which is materialistic in nature. I'm heavily considering real estate again. It remains (along with luxury retail) one of the few areas that interest me on an innate level. If I keep coming back to it, then it must have some legs right? Then the entrepreneurial bar idea can still be in my long-term vision. What would I do in real estate though? Development? That would be great but not likely. Analyst for a REIT or real estate focused fund? Sure, that sounds good. Geez, suggestions welcome!

Lastly, let's send out some good vibes to all our friends on the waitlist. I'm sure they'd really appreciate some.

8 comments:

Maxwriter said...

Hey man, how're things? You updated information about you and you updated your name too ;)

So, what up with the name thing. Tieny, I understand. But, Taylor?

TienyChesney said...

Phew! Thanks for telling me about that. I was experimenting with creating a different handle/profile and I think it saved to the blog inadvertently. Totally was not my intention- thanks!

xlick said...

How are you man? Here are my two cents on your change of heart.

It's always healthy to re-evaluate your career path early. After all, it's what you're going to be doing for a while. If you feel that you like real-estate more and the money is not a big factor, go for it! Besides, everyone can always need more land.

praz said...

tx for the shout for the WL-ers!:-)
Waiting for some love from CBS..hope I also got the chance to attend the April admit weekend !!

Dino said...

> If I keep coming back to it,
> then it must have some legs right?

Yeah, I've started to realize that if you keep coming back to it... then you will keep coming back to it for the rest of eternity too. I figure it's just better to do it now than take 20 diversions that irritate and depress me.

TienyChesney said...

@Praz: it's the least I could do, right?

@xlick & D.G.: that's some good advice, thanks! it is reassuring to hear someone agree with me :)

Palo Alto for a While said...

Re: mini updates, try twittering. You'll get used to brief, bullet-like updates in no time!

TienyChesney said...

Palo Alto,
Haha, there are 2 problems with that. First, I would set the record for the longest tweets... and second, I guarantee you nobody would follow my twitter!